Thursday, December 3, 2015

Superheroes Reconsidered

This week I read Batman Arkham Asylum, for the first time. Only playing the game the book was not what I expected. But I can say I wish the game was more like the visual novel. The style was rich and chilling and the Joker looked like someone who I really didn't want to mess with. That being said I would have never tried to read this at night, ever. The story was slightly hard to follow, but I still made it out. Only because of how some of the characters were drawn, it really game me the spooks! Even batman himself looked like a villain though he is suppose to be the hero. I will have to be honest and will have to read it again soon. In the daytime with a friend to grasp the complexity of this great read. But for now I can say I find it interesting how Batman was basically deconstructed and put together in a way no one would consider a hero and yet he is doing the job. I feel this also goes back into noir films and how the main character who is usually a detective is a good guy with no moral code and I felt the visual novel caught this essence very well for batman in this tell.
I also read most of Preacher, 1 through 4 if I remember correctly. It was a fun read, interesting story and characters. The only time I heard of Preacher was when AMC announced it was being made for their channel. But now seeing the original in all it's entirety I can't wait to see the series. The comic shows religion in a powerful ironic light. But still powerful something no one would want to mess with even. But the irony is still blatant through out the whole thing. Especially when you get the ability to make people do whatever you say like God himself but also being good friend with a vampire. I think that's where Preacher was able to get a few laughs out of me.
The last comic I was was Sex Criminals. I also heard about this comic getting a television release in the future. Which made me want to see what it's about. I'm glad I read it, it was one of the funniest things I've read in awhile. Maybe because I saw myself in the characters. They dialogue is surprisingly catchy and witty. The story is as well making all the character have complete 3 dimensions. It catches the style of early 20 somethings in this day and age which is extremely relatable. To character interactions, mannerisms and how they tell stories. Because the two main characters tell them differently. Then the other character would ask a question just like any other person would as well. Little touches like that really makes Sex Criminals stand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment